See, I'm on an awful lot of mailing lists for an awful lot of marketing and distribution movers and shakers. (FYI: I'm not bragging; to the contrary, this has taken years of hard work.) So I'm getting information on a regular basis about items set to release in the weeks and months ahead. With as much reading as I've done in my life, I'm surprised that there are still smaller flicks that I've never come across before. Granted, I don't know everything (nor is that my desire), but it's just a phenomenon that tickles me on occasion.
Like this morning, for example, I received a press release for a 2008 Horror entry I know absolutely nothing about: Bryan Loves You springs from the mind of writer/director Seth Landau. As IMDB.com cites, this would appear to be his only big entry into filmdom (there are a few other items, but clearly this looks to be his 'big dog'). Horror veteran Tony Todd serves as narrator for the piece that looks to be the cinematic examination of a cult infected a small Arizona town back in 1993. Though the film's audience ratings aren't all that high (presently 2.3 on a 10.0 scale), that's still a benchmark reached with a fairly small sampling (well less than 500 viewers).
MVD Entertainment Group is looking to right that ship as they've slated the title for a March 22nd home video release with a bevy of extras. I'll be copying and pasting their provided data below, and I'm happy to link to the trailer available online. As is always the case, you folks know what to do.
As always, thanks for reading ... and live long and prosper!
SETH LANDAU’S CULT “FOUND FOOTAGE” HORROR MOVIE
‘BRYAN LOVES YOU’MAKES ITS LONG-AWAITED DEBUT ON BLU-RAY
FROM JAL SMITHTOWN VIA MVD ENTERTAINMENT GROUP.
In the early 1990s, a 32-year-old psychotherapist (Seth Landau, Take Out) began to suspect that his small Arizona community was being taken over by a homicidal religious cult known as "The Bryans". His entire ordeal was captured on camcorder footage and security tapes. This is what was recovered.
George Wendt ("Cheers", House), Tony Todd (Candyman), Tiffany Shepis (Abominable) and Daniel Roebuck (The Fugitive) co-star along with cameos by Lloyd Kaufman (Guardians of the Galaxy), Chuck Williams (Bubba Ho-Tep), Bobby Slayton (Bandits) and scream queen Brinke Stevens (The Slumber Party Massacre) in this disturbing chiller based on the 1993 true story that shocked America.
Director Seth Landau says "Bryan Loves You is my take on the dangers of homogenous thinking, and also a very personal story about my experience growing up in rural America and being forcibly admitted to a mental hospital as a child. I think the movie is more relevant today than ever before, as our lives are increasingly tracked, recorded and monitored. If you resist what the big machine wants, it can be quite dangerous. I'm thrilled to be working with Eric D. Wilkinson and MVD Entertainment on the Special Edition Blu-ray and digital re-release of my film. There aren't many companies nurturing and caring for cutting-edge independent film. I'm lucky and fortunate grassroots guerrilla cinema can still exist in 2022 through MVD."
- NEW! 2022 Audio Commentary with Writer / Producer / Director Seth Landau
- 2008 Commentary with Writer / Producer / Director Seth Landau, cast and crew along with JoBlo Writer/Critic James Oster, Elissa Dowling and Professor / Religious Expert Dr. Phillip Baker
- NEW! Interview with star George Wendt (HD, 44:50)
- NEW! Interview with star Tiffany Shepis (HD, 50:49)
- NEW! Interview with star Daniel Roebuck (HD, 59.35)
- NEW! Interview with star Brinke Stevens (HD, 31:46)
- NEW! 2022 Theatrical Trailer (HD)
- Written, Produced and directed by Seth Landau (Take Out)
- Originally distributed by Starz / Anchor Bay, “Bryan Loves You” sold an estimated 40,000 units on DVD!
- All-star cast that will appeal to horror fans includes Tony Todd (Candyman), George Wendt ('Cheers', House), Tiffany Shepis (Abominable), Daniel Roebuck (The Devil's Rejects), Lloyd Kaufman (Guardians of the Galaxy), Brinke Stevens (Slumberparty Massacre)
- “Bryan Loves You” is inspired by the supposed true story of the ‘Cult of the Bryans’ who took over a small Arizona town in 1993.
- Cult classic horror thriller available for the first time in HD and on Blu-ray!
...shades of 'A Clockwork Orange...'
--James Oster, JoBlo.com
A haunting thriller... Part Blair Witch and Part Invasion of the Body Snatchers!
--Arrow In the Head.com
A masterfully creepy ride through religious fundamentalism gone horribly awry.
An eerie, unnerving experience... Impossibly paranoid and enormously entertaining!